What's important is not the character of a place... rather the characters in the place.
- Plato




26 June 2013

The Art of a Smoothie


Vitamix, oh Vitamix, how I love thee..... 

Now the proud owner of a Vitamix 300, I am a smoothie fanatic. (Santa, thanks again for Christmas in June!) It is just SO easy! I even conceded to keeping this machine out on my counter, which must mean I LOVE it.  

Basic smoothie recipe
- 1 cup of fruit (fresh, frozen or a mix)
- 1 cup of liquid choice
- any extras (see section below)

*I usually add more with the fruit measurements but keep it to 1 cup of liquid. 

*If you use all fresh ingredients, you might add a handful of ice to keep it cold. 

*Using some or mostly frozen ingredients is a great way to keep a smoothie nice and cold without having to add any ice. 

Stock your freezer with some frozen fruit.
Keep fresh fruit on hand too. 
Bananas are a great addition to any smoothie. 
When they get brown & spotty, toss them in the freezer.

Smoothies are a wonderful way to up your daily fruit intake and to use fruit that is, well, on the "downhill".  If fruit is starting to get really ripe, just pop it in the freezer and use it later for a smoothie.  Problem solved and no food waste!  
Below are some of the fruits on my personal smoothie menu:

Fresh/Frozen fruits: grapes, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, 
peaches, pineapple, raspberries, and mango

Fresh fruit: apples, pear, and a squeeze of citrus juice



Be sure to add some GREEN to your smoothie.  Spinach (either fresh or frozen) and kale are full of nutrients and so good for you! 



Since you have to add some liquid to this creation, I would suggest almond milk. It's low-cal and has tons of calcium (even more than regular milk!).  

Juice is another option, but caution: it's hard to find any without added sugar. I found some POM pomegranate juice without any added sugar. It's great, but I don't add it to every smoothie, as pomegranate doesn't "work" with every recipe I dream up. 



Some extras that can be added to any smoothie creation: 
  • chia seed: great for fiber
  • almond/peanut butter: makes the smoothie creamy & is a good source of protein
  • coconut butter/oil or shredded coconut: just a little adds a lot of flavor  
  • walnuts, pecans, or almonds


A fun finishing touch for a smoothie - a colorful bendy straw!
(Thanks again for the glass, Courtney & Drew!)

Today's creation: some red grapes, 1 pink lady apple (peel on), 4 fresh strawberries, 
a handful of kale, 1 c. of almond milk, a spoonful of almond butter, 
a spoonful of chia seeds, and a handful of ice.  
Try making a smoothie - you can't go wrong. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment