What's important is not the character of a place... rather the characters in the place.
- Plato




26 June 2013

Maybe this would be Popeye's favorite tart???

SPINACH TART with olive-oil cracker crust

Martha Stewart Everyday magazine (June 2013)
total time: around 2-2.5 hours (I've adjusted what Martha Stewart said....)
serves 4-6




While visiting my grandma Myrl in Checotah 2 weeks ago, I was thumbing through her magazines and this recipe caught my eye. Who doesn't love a savory pie?! 


***You will need a 9.5" tart pan w/ a removable bottom. It's a $30-$40 investment if you don't have one, but maybe you'll be inspired to make more tarts with that pan! It worked amazingly well. 


CRUST
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. coarse salt
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1/3 c. EVOO
1/3 c. water  


FILLING
1 1/2 pounds spinach, stems trimmed, rinsed well (about 14 packed cups) 
1 Tbsp. EVOO
1 large shallot, finely chopped (about 1/2 c.)
1 clove garlic, minced 
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, plus more for serving
2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 c.) 
2 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. sesame seeds


CRUST 

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
  2. Whisk together flours, salt, and sesame seeds in a large mixing bowl. 
  3. Stir in oil and water, then knead until a ball forms. 
  4. Roll out dough into a 12" round and fit it into a 9.5" tart pan (w/ removable bottom). This is not an easy task, so do not be discouraged. Patch the crust and move on. 
  5. Trim any excess crust length and prick the bottom all over with a fork. 
  6. Bake until crust is golden brown and crisp, about 35 minutes. 35 minutes is too long!
  7. Let cool on a wire rack.  


FILLING

  1. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. 
  2. Place spinach in a large pot (is dry, add 1/4 c. water) and cover. I used a big stock pot and it worked well. 
  3. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just wilted, about 6 minutes.
  4. Transfer to a colander to drain. 
  5. When cool enough to handle, wrap in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove excess water. I skipped the kitchen towel and just used my hands. 
  6. Coarsely chop and transfer to a mixing bowl. 
  7. Wipe pot dry and heat oil over medium heat. 
  8. Add shallot, garlic, and red pepper flakes to pot and cook, stirring, until shallot is softened, about 4 minutes. 
  9. Transfer to a bowl with spinach. 
  10. Add feta, eggs, and salt. I really like feta and may stump my toe next time I make this.
  11. Stir until combined. 

CRUST MEETS FILLING
  1. Pour filling into crust and sprinkle with sesame seeds. 
  2. Bake tart until just set, about 30 to 35 minutes. Watch closely. You don't want to overcook. 
  3. Let cool slightly, about 10 minutes. 
  4. Serve warm or at room temperature with red pepper flakes. 


RENZA'S COOKING NOTES

  • I will add more spinach next time to make the tart a bit more full. 
  • Also, I may add a bit more garlic next round, but that also happens to be a cooking problem I have...
  • Really watch the crust while it is baking. Mine got too brown. 
  • Play around with the times given by this recipe. Shoot for less time and add more as needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment